On a call with a client, our senior consultant said, “I love file conversions.”
The client gasped, “Why?” She demanded to know.
“I get to see the entire project from start to finish,” our consultant explained, “and help our clients get a solution that truly meets their needs.”
I know what she means. We’ve been doing conversion projects since we started Fourlane 5 years ago. Many of our clients have outgrown their old software, including Sage 50, NetSuite, Sage BusinessWorks or another product. They need a more user friendly platform to get the job done. It is satisfying to design the right solution and help them implement it.
Every conversion project is unique. There are many details we need to end up with for a powerful solution, such as the client, the industry, the software they are moving from and the reports they need. Over the years, we’ve refined our conversion process and have now packaged this service. Here’s how it goes:
- During the first Phase, we determine the product or products the client needs. This can include QuickBooks Enterprise, Advanced Inventory, Point of Sale or any other third-party, add-on products. Our focus is to keep clients in QuickBooks for the accounting department and find solutions to help run the rest of the business.
- During Phase two, we set up the template file in QuickBooks. This process requires developing the proper workflow that will make QuickBooks fit your business like a glove. During this time, you may want to be doing double entry in your old system and in the new QuickBooks file. You pull data from your old system, including reports such as Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable, P&L, balance sheets by month, and any other data that needs to move over.
- During Phase 3, we go live and train your team. Training your team is crucial to ensure that your company successfully transitions from the new software. Fourlane is known for its training; we have more than 200 hours of training videos on our website because we want all QuickBooks users to be successful, even if they aren’t our clients. The training we do during a file conversion is custom to you, though. We work live (or via webinar) with your employees to demonstrate how to do things and answer the specific questions they have.
- During Phase 4, we close the books for the month and review financials with you. This process helps us determine if there are any other additional data or monthly reports you need to run your business.
- Phase 5, the final phase of the process, is the time we spend following up. We’ll let you run the software for a month or so and then check in and see how things are going. If you’re having problems, we’ll try to nip them in the bud. We also encourage ongoing close services to help stay on track.
Using the above process, Fourlane offers summary conversions. We will move open transactions, lists, summary balances by month and other accounting functions into QuickBooks. We can provide instructions if you are interested in pushing historical data into QuickBooks.
If you, or anyone you know, is ready to find a system to better meet their accounting and back-office needs, give us a shout. We’re happy to talk in detail about what any of your needs.