There are many FAQ for users of QuickBooks Point of Sale and these are the top 5 reasons QuickBooks Point of Sale customers may need to call support. Many of these issues can be handled with following these troubleshooting tips. Let us know your QuickBooks Point of Sale Questions…
1) Installation & Registration Problems – Many users call for help during the initial installation of the product.
Here are the recommended steps to install QuickBooks Point of Sale:
- Unplug any peripherals such as a credit card reader, receipt printer, bar code scanner, etc. You do not want to have any Point of Sale hardware connected to the computer on which you are doing the installation.
- Insert the QuickBooks Point of Sale installation CD or click the download link.
- The installation should begin automatically. If it does not, navigate to the CD drive and find the setup.exe file.
- Allow the install guide to get you through the process. You may be asked to open ports or modify the computer settings – be sure to allow these changes. This can include installing Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Enter the license and product numbers and read and accept the license agreement.
- When the installation is finished, you will need to restart your computer. Then open Point of Sale and download any updates. Now you can plug in the Point of Sale hardware and finish the set up. Watch this video to learn how to set up a company file.
Here are the steps for registering QuickBooks Point of Sale – this must be completed within 30 days of installation:
- Every time you open QuickBooks POS there will be a prompt to register until you complete the registration. If you are hooked to the internet you can fill in the online registration. If you are offline, you will need to phone in to get the registration information.
2) Connectivity – Some users have problems opening their data files or connecting to the server.
1. If you turn on your QuickBooks Point of Sale client workstation and you see the select company window but you can’t enter anything in the select a company data file field, you might be having some connectivity issues. This could be happening because:
a. The Server workstation needs to be switched to multi-user mode. On the server workstation, open the company file. Click File>Switch to Multi User Mode.
b. The firewall is blocking access to the server.
c. You are having trouble connecting to the network.
View Full details on B & C by visiting the Intuit support site here: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/SLN48142
2. If you get this error message: “Point of Sale: This application has encountered a problem and needs to close”, you’re likely to get frustrated trying to figure out what’s wrong. This could be happening because your computer isn’t updated, a file the client uses to connect is damaged, windows security is too high or the POS installation itself is damaged. First try rebooting your computer; this easy fix may solve the problem all on its own. If that doesn’t work, check out these helpful instructions for proceeding with your issue. http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/SLN50497
3) File operations – These are the “How To” questions in QuickBooks Point of Sale. We have several free videos that can help you better learn how to use QuickBooks POS.
4) Hardware – getting it installed is often the hardest part. It’s important to remember that you must install the POS software before connecting any hardware. The hardware set up interview is inside the software. Another thing to remember if you’re having issues connecting to printers or other outside hardware is to make sure your computer is up to date on all Windows updates. Click Start > Control Panel > Windows updates. Please be sure the hardware you are connecting is on the approved hardware list. This can be found here.
For more detailed and specified instruction for your issue, check out the link below.
5) Financial Exchange – How to set up and Exchange Data between QuickBooks financial products and QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Watch our free Point of Sale videos to learn how to properly set up your connection to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise software.
This article will also show you how to connect the financial and Point of Sale without having the financial file open.
- Inside QuickBooks financial – Choose Edit > Preferences.
- Click the Integrated Applications icon on the left.
- Click the Company Preferences tab. (You will need to be in single user mode)
- Select QuickBooks Point of Sale, and then click Properties.
- In Access Rights, select the option Allow this application to read and modify this company file.
- Click OK in the Properties window, and then again in the Preferences window.