QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2021
Intuit QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2021 helps you organize your business finances all in one place so you can be more productive. Stay on top of invoices, manage expenses, and get reliable reports for tax time. Intuit QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2021 includes all QuickBooks Desktop Pro features and provides tools tailored to your industry (contractors, nonprofits, professional services, manufacturing and wholesale, retailers). Step-by-step tutorials show you how to create invoices, record expenses, and more. Save time with improved bank feeds that automatically categorize or batch edit bank transactions by payees, accounts, and classes.
Powerful features to help you manage your business better:
- Accounting software helps you organize your business finances in one place
- 60 Day money back guarantee
- Delivered download with optional physical CD (sold separately)
- Collaborate with 1 to 5 concurrent users (each sold separately)
- Save time by automating recurring statements to different customer groups based on their needs or tendencies
- Improve insights and communication to different types of customers by creating rule-based customer groups that automatically update to match to your specified criteria
- Helps you maximize tax deductions with organized expenses
- Track business performance to make better decisions
- Track costs for products and inventory
- Get paid faster with online invoices and download your bank transactions
- Look more professional with customized payment receipts unique to your business
- Improve your customer management, insights, and communication to different types of customers by creating rule-based customer groups that automatically update to match to your specified criteria
- Contractors: job costs detail, unpaid bills by job
- Nonprofits: biggest donors and grants, budget vs. actual by programs
- Professional services: unbilled expenses, billed vs. proposal by project
- Manufacturing and wholesale: sales volume by customer, profitability by product
- Retailers: purchase volume by vendor, sales tax liability
- Payroll and online features require Internet access
- Product registration required
Improved bank feeds
Now save even more time by automatically categorizing bank transactions with improved matching for payees, accounts, and classes. Use enhanced rules and batch editing to limit data entry, and quickly review and resolve discrepancies.
Create customer groups
Create rule-based customer groups based on fields like customer type, status, location, and balance, so you can easily manage and communicate to them.
Automatically send statements
End the hassle of regularly sending your customers statements to remind them of open balances. Schedule statement emails to send automatically, without the need to customize them every time they’re sent out.
- Track products, cost of goods, and receive notifications when inventory is low.
- Easily adjust inventory to account for loss, theft, and shrinkage.
- Create purchase orders to keep track of what’s on order.
Track sales tax
- Define which customers and which products are taxable.
- Track sales tax automatically throughout the month.
- Run sales tax liability reports so you know exactly what you owe.
- Create professional estimates, invoices, and payment receipts.
- Invoice for services, goods, and for billable time and expenses.
- Accept payments right from your invoices and send automatic reminders on outstanding payments.21
- Get real-time visibility of invoice status, to stay on top of your cash flow.
- Clearly track bills and purchase orders in one place.
- Maintain cash flow and easily take action on unpaid bills.
- Take early pay discounts automatically.
- View unpaid bills from a vendor to easily manage payments.
Track income and expenses
- Connect your bank and credit card to automatically download and categorize transactions.10
- Easily import previous financial data from Excel and other programs.7
- Organize your business with Customer, Vendor, and Employee Centers.
- Save time by automatically creating categorized receipt expense entries* by using the QuickBooks Desktop Mobile app. Just photograph, import, and review.5
*Receipt management only available in Pro Plus.
Contractor accounting features
Create job estimates and track change orders
As a job changes simply enter change orders into the estimate to keep track of the changes and their impact on your bottom line.
Analyze job profitability
Customized job cost reports allow you to see a job’s profitability on a detailed, task-by-task level.
Create ‘Jobs by Vendor’ report
Organize your job costs by vendor, and see which vendors still need to be paid.
Manufacturing and wholesale accounting features
Track inventory reorder point by vendor
Track inventory and set optimal inventory levels. Run a report showing items that need reordering.
Track profitability by product
Keep track of your biggest moneymakers so you’ll know which products to promote and keep in stock, and which to drop from your line.
Easily prioritize which orders to fulfill
See all open sales orders and prioritize them how you want. Instantly see which orders can be shipped and which can’t.
Retail accounting features
Easily track sales results
Track sales accurately and flexibly with the Sales Summary Form. Enter total payments and taxable/non-taxable sales for the day, week, or any time period you choose.
Stay on top of inventory and costs
Easily track inventory and set reorder points.
Run a profit and loss report
Easily compare one month’s profit and loss against another.
Nonprofit accounting features
Create end-of-year donation statements
See who your biggest donors are and track their contributions.
Create Form 990 (Statement of Functional Expenses)
Identify your expenses for presentation to your board, major donors, and the IRS.
Run donor contribution summary reports
Track each donor’s contribution total as needed.
Professional services accounting features
Track unbilled time and expenses
See all clients with unbilled time and expenses by employee, project, client or service on a single screen. Easily send an invoice in just a few clicks.
Set different billing rates by employee, client, and service
Pay and get paid the right amount by quickly and easily setting different billing rates.
Analyze profitability by project and client
Reports like Billed vs. Proposal by Project, Cost-to-Complete by Job, and Job Costs by Job and Vendor help you stay on top of which projects are most profitable.
System and browser requirements
- Windows 8.1 Update 1, or Windows 10 update/version supported by Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (or R2), 2016, or 2019 (Mac users: see QuickBooks Desktop for Mac)
- 2.4 GHz processor
- 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
- 2.5 GB disk space recommended (additional space required for data files)
- 4x DVD-ROM drive (unless user is downloading from Intuit server)
- Payroll and online features require Internet access (1 Mbps recommended speed)
- Product registration required
- Optimized for 1280×1024 screen resolution or higher. Supports one Workstation Monitor, plus up to 2 extended monitors. Optimized for Default DPI settings
- Internet Explorer 11 (32-bit)
Integration with other software
- Microsoft Word and Excel integration requires Office 2013-2019, or Microsoft 365 (32 and 64 bit)
- E-mail Estimates, Invoices and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2013-2019, Microsoft 365, Gmail™, and Outlook.com®, other SMTP-supporting e-mail clients. Integration with QuicBooks POS 12.0, 18.0, or 19.0
- Transfer data from Quicken 2016-2020, QuickBooks Mac 2016-2021, Microsoft Excel 2013-2019, or Microsoft 365 (32 or 64 bit)
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between QuickBooks Premier and Premier Plus?
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus is an annual subscription which must be renewed every year to maintain access to your software. The Plus subscription includes QuickBooks Premier, 24/7 support, automatic backups, upgrades, and a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee. QuickBooks Desktop Premier is a one-time purchase with the software being supported for three years. After three years, you will need to upgrade in order for certain features including bank feeds to work properly.
What’s the difference in capacity between QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise?
Desktop Pro and Premier each track up to 14,500 customers, vendors, and items, while Enterprise tracks up to 1 million customers, vendors and items. QuickBooks Enterprise also scales up to 40 users with varying roles and permissions.13 Learn more about QuickBooks Enterprise.
Does QuickBooks Desktop Premier integrate with my other software?
You can transfer data into QuickBooks Desktop Premier from select versions of Quicken, Microsoft Excel, Office 365, and QuickBooks Mac.7 You can e-mail estimates, invoices and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2010 SP2-2016, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Gmail™, Outlook.com®, and other SMTP-supporting e-mail clients. You can also integrate data from QuickBooks POS 12.0, 18.0, or 19.0 with QuickBooks Desktop Pro.22 Integration with Shopify, Square, and other applications requires remote hosting subscription or QuickBooks Premier Online.23
Is customer support included with QuickBooks Desktop Premier?
Unlimited customer support is included with a Desktop Premier Plus subscription. If you purchase Desktop Premier, you may add an Annual Care Plan for $299.95.
1. Based on the annualized MSRP of standalone software ($399.99 or $649.99 for Pro or Premier Outright, respectively) and add-on services: one Care ($299.95) and Intuit Data Backup plan ($99.95). Plus with Payroll bundles include one Payroll plan ($450).
2. Customer support: Enterprise phone and messaging support for Premium level is available 24/7. For Pro, Premier, Standard, Plus click here for support hours and how to contact support. Hours exclude occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance, company events, observed U.S. Holidays and events beyond our control. Access to messaging with live experts or call back features requires a QuickBooks Care Plan, and internet connection. Care plan is included with Standard, Plus and Enterprise subscriptions. A la carte Annual Care Plan MSRP $299.95.
3. Upgrades will be provided if and when they become available.
4. One standalone Intuit Data Backup MSRP $99.95 per year or MSRP $9.95 per month for a-la-carte purchases. Entire PC is limited to 100GB total storage which includes all 45 days of backup you have stored. Data encrypted using AES 256-bit encryption. Requires internet access for backup, restore and setup changes and comes bundled in with QuickBooks Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise subscription. Not available to QuickBooks Online users. Not intended as a file transfer, remote access solution for your QuickBooks file. Intuit Data Protect is not intended as a HIPAA solution and its use will not assist with or ensure HIPAA compliance. Hours exclude occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance, company events, observed U.S. Holidays and events beyond our control. Subject to change at any time without notice. Data Recovery Service: Coverage begins at the time of enrollment and ends upon cancellation of stated term length + 30 days from cancellation date to be able to recover your backup data.
5. Requires a Pro Plus, Premier Plus or Enterprise subscription. Must have the QuickBooks Desktop App installed on a camera enabled mobile device using Android 5.0 (API level 21, Lollipop or onwards), or iOS 13 or later. Requires internet connection. Works only with expense receipts, not inventory item receipts.
6. Each unique user requires a license. Each license is sold separately. All copies of QuickBooks must be the same version-year.
7. Transfer data from Quicken 2016-2020, QuickBooks Mac 2016-2021 and Microsoft Excel 2013-2019, or Microsoft 365 (32 or 64 bit).
8. Enhanced Payroll subscription required. For more information, see https://quickbooks.intuit.com/payroll/desktop/enhanced/.
9. Direct deposit to W-2 employees is free, but additional fees apply for direct deposit to 1099 vendors.
10. eFile and Pay: With Enhanced Payroll, the eFile and Pay feature is available for federal and most state forms and taxes. You may need to register with tax agencies in order to use eFile & Pay. You can set the filing method of your Federal and State forms to eFile and Pay. Instead of printing and mailing the forms, send them electronically to the appropriate agencies in QuickBooks Desktop. Also, you can set the payment method for your scheduled Federal and State tax payments to eFile and Pay, and conveniently pay the appropriate tax agencies in QuickBooks Desktop. This is available in Quickbooks Payroll Enhanced and to selected states only.
11. Additional fees apply for the QuickBooks Desktop Hosting Service subscription. Hosting service available only to QuickBooks Pro Plus, Premier Plus, and Enterprise customers up to the maximum number of licensed users. Internet connection required. Hosting Service is subject to Internet availability and occasional downtime, and may change without notice. See detailed list of system requirements, and a list of what RDP clients work with the hosting service at https://www.rightnetworks.com/system-requirements/. Licensing and/or subscriptions for third-party applications are not included and would be provided by the vendor. Additional fees may apply. Some QuickBooks functionality may be limited within the hosting environment. See detailed list of plans and add-ons at https://www.rightnetworks.com/plans-and-add-ons/.
12. Licenses are available in single-user increments from 1 to 10 users or up to 40 users. Fees apply.
13. QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise allows you to add up to one million names (e.g., customers, vendors, employees) and up to one million items (e.g., inventory, non-inventory, and service items). Some performance degradation is likely as your lists approach these size thresholds.
14. Advanced Reporting is available with all Enterprise subscriptions.
15. Membership in Priority Circle and its benefits are available only to customers located in the 50 United States, including DC, who have an active, paid subscription to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise or QuickBooks Online Advanced. Eligibility criteria may apply to certain products. When customers no longer have an active, paid subscription, they will not be eligible to receive benefits. Phone and messaging premium support is available 24/7. Support hours exclude occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance, company events, observed U.S. holidays and events beyond our control. Intuit reserves the right to change these hours without notice. Terms, conditions, pricing, service, support options, and support team members are subject to change without notice.
16. Advanced Inventory is in the Platinum and Diamond subscriptions of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise only. Requires an internet connection.
17. Advanced Pricing is included in the Platinum and Diamond subscriptions of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise only. Requires an internet connection.
18. QuickBooks Enterprise Diamond (also referred to as The Diamond Package) subscription: Enterprise Diamond includes QuickBooks Assisted Payroll and TSheets Elite time tracking. Assisted Payroll is $1 per employee per pay period; maximum of 4 pay periods each month. Assisted Payroll cannot file employee payroll or state taxes in IN and WY. TSheets Elite is $5 per month per employee. Enterprise Diamond is sold in increments of 1-10, 20, 30, and 40 users. Enterprise Diamond is compatible with, but does not include hosting. (Hosting sold separately.) Enterprise Diamond is a subscription and is only available on a monthly payment plan with no annual commitment. Each month, your account will be automatically charged the agreed-upon price unless and until you cancel. Cancel at any time by calling Intuit at 800-300-8179, prior to your monthly renewal date. When you cancel, you will have access to Enterprise Diamond for the remainder of the month for which you have already paid. The following month, you will no longer have access to the product or any of its connected services. We will authorize your card to ensure prompt order processing, resulting in a temporary hold on your account. The CRM connector works with Salesforce Professional, Enterprise and Unlimited versions only; Salesforce is sold separately. The Salesforce CRM connector is a service provided by DBSync and is available as a paid add-on subscription to QuickBooks Enterprise Diamond. See Subscription Terms & Conditions.
19. Pro and Premier customers may download data from participating banks until May 2024. This date does not apply to Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise customers. Online services vary by participating financial institutions or other parties and may be subject to application approval, additional terms, conditions, and fees.
20. A purchased QuickBooks license allows for more than one company file, but does not support different company files to be opened simultaneously. Only one company file may be open and managed at a time. You may: (a) install the Software on the number of computers equal to the number of user licenses you purchased; (b) access and use the Software solely by the number of specific persons corresponding to the number of user licenses you purchased, with no substitution of such users (for example, if you purchased a 3 user license pack and you have 10 employees in your company, the original 3 specific persons who were initially provided with access to and use of the Software, are the only persons licensed to use the Software unless you purchase additional licenses; (c) place a copy of your software data files on a network for access by licensed users; (d) install the Software on 1 additional computer above the number of the license(s) you purchased, solely to accompany your software data file, and not for use of the Software by another user; and (e) for each user license you purchased, make one copy of the printed materials accompanying the Software, if any, or print one copy of any online user documentation solely for use by licensed users. Notwithstanding (b) above, you may replace a specific user if such user leaves and must be replaced with a new employee. The maximum number of simultaneous users (users accessing the file at the same time) for QuickBooks Pro is three users and Premier Edition is five users. All users must be networked and must each have their own QuickBooks license.
21. Requires QuickBooks Payments; subject to application approval. Debit card transactions are processed as Signature Debit which does not require entering a PIN code. See www.payments.intuit.com for details. Additional terms, conditions and fees apply.
22. QuickBooks POS works with QuickBooks Pro, Premier 2016-2020 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 16.0-20.0. Sold separately.
23. Each application is subject to additional terms, conditions and fees.
24. Online versus traditional or manual payment alternative. Required Internet access sold separately.
Terms, conditions, pricing, features, service and support are subject to change without notice.